Everything You Need In Your Stables’ First Aid Kit
Ensuring that you have a comprehensive Equine First Aid Kit is a vital part of owning a horse. Having everything you will need in an equine emergency can help you provide initial first aid to your horse while you wait for your veterinarian to arrive.
We have compiled a list of items you may like to include in your stables first aid kit.
What should I included in my stables First Aid Kit?
- Hoof Pick
- Wire cutters
- Chlorhexidine Scrub
- Iodine Solution – for rinsing eyes and mucous membranes
- Alcohol and Swabs
- Antiseptic Ointment/Powder
- Sterile Water or Saline
- Syringes and Needles (60ml and 18g)
- Non stick primary wound dressings
- Gauze Bandage or Soft Conforming Bandage (Soffban)
- Cotton Wool or Combine
- Elastic Bandage (vetrap, elastoplast, crepe)
- Feminine Hygiene products (great primary dressings and puncture wounds)
- Nappies (best foot bandages!)
- Duct Tape
- Sterile Gloves
- Virkon– DPI approved for Hendra and Equine Influenza
- Clean Towels
- Electrolytes (paste or powder) Such as Salkavite or Electro Paste
- Flash Light/Batteries
- White Healer
- Yellow Lotion
Keep in an airtight container such as a 20Kg bucket with lid.
You can purchase a ready-made first aid kit from our friends at Kilmore Equine here!
Experts in Equine Nutrition
Every product in the Ranvet range has been developed to meet a horse’s most specific need at any given time, be it in a training environment or on a breeding farm. Having pioneered the formulation of specific medications and dietary supplements for horses, the company is now recognised as a leader in the areas of equine health and nutrition.