B-Group Vitamins for horses
B-Group vitamins for horses perform numerous functions. They are specifically required for energy generation (i.e. help release stored energy reserves into a form which may be utilised to fuel muscle contractions), adequate function of the nervous system, protein metabolism and red blood cell formation.
In addition, B-Group vitamins for horses are also required for cell repair and therefore adequate B-Group vitamin supplementation is essential to ensure optimal muscle recovery.
- B-Group vitamins for horses are vital for optimal performance, particularly in horses undergoing intense exercise e.g. endurance/eventing.
- The ability of the exercising horse to perform and recover at optimal levels is intricately linked to B-Group vitamin
- Daily B-group vitamin supplementation aids in reducing the formation of lactic acid in muscles, a significant cause of fatigue, while also helping post exercise muscle
- For horses rehabilitating from injury or recuperating from
Horses exercising have increased:
- Energy requirements
- Muscle repair/recovery
- Enzymatic activity
- Red blood cell production
ALL OF WHICH REQUIRE B-GROUP VITAMINS!
- As energy expenditure increases, so does the requirement for B-Group vitamins. The harder the horse is worked, the higher requirement for B-Group vitamins.
- B-Group vitamins for horses, specifically B12, as well as Folic Acid also plays a vital role in the formation of red blood cells, which are required to transport oxygen to muscles and removing carbon dioxide. Therefore, red blood cells play a key role in your horses’ muscle function and performing at their best.
- B-Group vitamins for horses can stimulate appetite in nervous and stressed horses.
- Vitamin B1 is necessary for the proper function of the heart and nervous system. Vitamin B1 is known for its beneficial calming effects and ability to minimise nervous and/or flighty behaviour.
- B-Group Vitamins oxidise readily when they come into contact with air. Therefore, supplementation of B-Group vitamins from an air tight container is a preferred method of delivery.
B-Group Vitamin Supplementation
In order to supply suitable levels of B-Group vitamins, Ranvet recommend feeding the following for horses under full work;
- Vitamin & Mineral Supplement: 30g Morning & Night.
Such as Ranvet’s Ration Balancer
- Electrolyte & B-Group Vitamin Supplement: 30-60g daily (depending on workload).
Such as Ranvet’s Salkavite
- Electrolyte & B-Group Vitamin Travel Paste: Pre & Post Competition.
Such as Ranvet’s Electro Paste
If you feel your horses may be lacking in B-Group Vitamins, simply complete our online Diet Evaluation Service and receive a detailed report on your horses B-Group Vitamin provision: https://www.ranvet.com.au/nutrition-centre/diet-evaluation/
Experts in Equine Nutrition
Every product in the Ranvet range has been developed to meet a horse’s most specific need at any given time, be it in a training environment or on a breeding farm. Having pioneered the formulation of specific medications and dietary supplements for horses, the company is now recognised as a leader in the areas of equine health and nutrition.