Make the Most of Your Spring Cleaning in the Stable
Spring is here and it a great time to get cleaning! Here are a few tips and ideas to help you get on top of your chores and get ready from summer!
- Wash, repair if needed and store your winter rugs so they are ready for next season. Correct storage will also keep them in good condition away from rodents and out of the weather.
- Putting away your winter rugs and unneeded winter gear means it’s time to bring out those summer rugs and make sure they are in working order.
- Cleaning out your feed shed and ensuring your hay is off the ground and feeds are stored properly to keep their freshness.
- Give the water troughs and feed buckets a good scrub!
- Help your horse shed their winter coat with lots of grooming and a good wash!
- Make sure you are on top of worming, vaccinations and dental checks!
- Spring means warmer weather which brings out more rodents and snakes. Make sure that the floor of your stable is clear and don’t leave anything lying around. This also means ensuring that your paddocks are clear of any piles of wood etc. Having clear paddock is also important in the event of a fire.
- Take the time to come up with a fire safety plan or talk to your agistment property to ask them what their plan is. As the fire danger increases during this time of year, it is vital that you have a plan of action in place so you can be prepared. If possible, have a read of this very informative fact sheet that has been put together by the NSW Rural Fire Service. https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/9453/Prepare-your-horse-for-bush-fire.pdf
- Adjusting your horse’s diet might be necessary. Winter is over and that nice spring grass is here so they might not need as much feed. If you have any doubts about what or how much you should be feeding, complete our a diet evaluation form and one of our helpful nutritionists can work with you to find the right diet for your horse: https://www.ranvet.com.au/nutrition-centre/diet-evaluation/
- Now is a good time to stock up on fly spray!
- The weeds are sprouting! Getting on top of them now will help keep the numbers down!
- Find your fly veil and make sure it is ok to use. If not, take advantage of the spring sales!
- If you and your horse have had a spell over winter, you may need to give your gear a good clean ready so it is ready for the show season! This is the perfect excuse to tidy and organise your tack room and horse float!
Experts in Equine Nutrition
Every product in the Ranvet range has been developed to meet a horse’s most specific need at any given time, be it in a training environment or on a breeding farm. Having pioneered the formulation of specific medications and dietary supplements for horses, the company is now recognised as a leader in the areas of equine health and nutrition.